European Growth Capital
The Fund provides specialty debt financing to European growth businesses, predominantly in the technology, life sciences and environmental sectors. Typical loan sizes range from €1-20 million with the flexibility to do larger transactions opportunistically.
We look for investment opportunities in high growth business with proven management teams in need of capital to fuel organic growth, acquisitions, equipment purchases, bridge loans and various forms of recapitalization.
Senior Managing Director
David Bateman is a Senior Managing Director and together with Johan Kampe co-head of the Harbert European Growth Capital Fund (HEGCF). David has more than 10 years of experience in technology lending and financing. Prior to joining HMC in January 2013, he and Johan co-founded Benefide, a firm focused on originating specialty debt transactions on a deal-by-deal basis, closing eight transactions over an 18 month period. From 2002-2011 David was with ETV Capital, one of the leading providers of European growth loans at the time, where he was responsible for originating investments and served on the Board of the company. Prior to ETV David worked at Broadview International, where he spent 7 years originating and executing technology M&A and financing transactions. David earned a BA at Trinity College Dublin, a Diplomkaufmann from EAP-ESCP and a Masters in Finance at the London Business School.
Senior Managing Director
Johan Kampe is a Senior Managing Director and together with David Bateman co-head of the Harbert European Growth Capital Fund (HEGCF). Johan has more than 15 years of experience in technology lending and financing. Prior to joining HMC in January 2013, he and David co-founded Benefide, a firm focused on originating specialty debt transactions on a deal-by-deal basis, closing eight transactions over an 18 month period. From 2005-2011 Johan was with ETV Capital, one of the leading providers of European growth loans at the time, where he was responsible for originating investments and was an alternate company’s investment committee. Prior to joining ETV, Johan was with Silicon Valley Bank, and co-founded the European subsidiary of the bank, SVB Europe Advisors, funding technology and growth businesses and backing VC funds. Prior to that, Johan worked with a startup company and various financial institutions, including Prudential and American Express. Johan earned BA in Finance and International Business from San Jose State University (Cum Laude).
Operations and Finance Director
Jerome is the Operations and Finance Director at Harbert European Growth Capital Fund (HEGCF) where he is responsible for the fund’s portfolio activities and supporting French market coverage. He has over 20 years’ experience in corporate finance, private equity and fund operations. Before joining HEGCF, Jerome worked for ETV Capital, one of Europe’s leading technology venture debt funders where he advised on investee company work-outs and debt servicing. He previously worked for two private equity funds firstly as an associate director responsible for investments in the med tech sector and latterly as CFO for a new debt fund helping to raise €100m from institutional investors. Prior to joining the two private equity funds, Jerome was also the principal on a MBO and a start-up which were successfully exited and finance director for Diageo PLC’s French JV’s with LVMH. Jerome has a BSc degree from the University of Manchester and is an ACA having qualified with PwC.
Fahad has intensive professional experience across management advisory, accounting and investment management. At HEGCF, he focuses on sourcing, evaluating and executing investments in high growth companies across the Technology and Life Sciences sectors. Before joining HEGCF, Fahad worked at the London offices of Deloitte within the Investment Management and Private Equity team where he advised leading UK based funds investing across debt and equity strategies.
In addition to the professional experiences above, Fahad has worked closely with entrepreneurs and has been an active advisor to the start-up community through his involvement in a number of accelerator programmes.
Fahad is a Qualified Chartered Accountant (ICAEW) with a degree in Economics, Accounting and Finance from the Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto.
Before joining HMC as an Investment Associate in January 2014, Mr. McLoughlin was a co-founder and Director at Aldermanbury Partners, a consultancy based in London that has advised growing firms and government departments on strategic and investment decisions. Mr. McLoughlin previously worked for six years at Deloitte where he qualified as a Chartered Accountant (ICAEW) and focused on advising financial services clients. He graduated with a degree in Economics and Business Law from the University of Strathclyde.
Shaun is an Analyst at Harbert European Growth Capital Fund (HEGCF) where he focuses on monitoring portfolio companies, and assists the team in researching, building financial models and executing investments in high growth companies across the Technology and Life Sciences sectors. Before joining HEGCF, Shaun worked at PwC for three years, where he focused on providing audit and valuation services to clients operating in the financial services industry and recently become CFA exam qualified, where he passed CFA Level I & II on first attempt. Shaun attained a Bachelor’s Honours degree in Financial Economics from the University of London.
Lyall joined the Harbert European Growth Capital Fund (HEGCF) in March 2015. He assists the team across all aspects of the investment process and research related to the marketing of the fund. Prior to joining HEGCF, Lyall was the Director of Marketing at a start up in the United States, providing SME’s with marketing and analytics tools. He holds a Bachelor’s Degree from the University of California, Berkeley where he studied International Business and Development.
Stephanie joined the Harbert European Capital Growth Fund (HEGCF) in July 2013 as the Team Assistant. Stephanie supports the team with meetings, travel, various administration requirements and coordinates fund events. Prior to joining HEGCF, Stephanie worked for five years in the telecommunications recruitment industry in a Reception/Office Management role. Stephanie holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Information Systems Engineering with Management from Kings College London.
The Fund provides financing to later-stage European growth companies with strong management and proven revenue traction in substantial markets. Profitability is not a requirement.
Typical investment structure:
- Loan sizes between €1 – 20 million
- Secured loans
- 3-5 years, usually amortizing
- 12-14% coupon
- Equity participation
- November 11, 2015 - HEGCF – Tango Telecom powers the successful monetisation of digital content with the market leading Tango DRE™
- September 17, 2015 - HEGCF – News Corp To Buy Unruly For $176M To Drive More Video Ad Views
- September 8, 2015 - HEGCF – Encouraging Early Results of Major 10,000 Patient NHS Lung Cancer Screening Trial
- August 15, 2015 - HEGCF – MyOptique Buys Two More Eyewear Brands to Grow in Europe
- June 11, 2015 - HEGCF – Clavister Secures New Financing
- May 29, 2015 - HEGCF – HMC Raises 122 Million Euro for First European Growth Capital Fund
- May 19, 2015 - HEGCF – Accuris Networks Adds Cloud-based Billing and Settlement Service to Wi-Fi Offload & Roaming Platform
- May 18, 2015 - HEGCF – SafeGuard World International Ranks Twelfth in Inaugural Sunday Times SME Export Track 100
- March 3, 2015 - HEGCF – BriteBill Selected to Improve Sprints Customer Billing Experience
- March 1, 2015 - HEGCF – WorldStores Receives Goldman Sachs Check for Next Day Delivery
- February 27, 2015 - HEGCF – Vodafone and IP.Access Launch Next-Gen Presence Services
- February 15, 2015 - HEGCF – Funambol and Telefonica Provide Personal Clouds for Millions of Movistar Spain Customers
- February 5, 2015 - HEGCF – Zenterio Enters U.S. Market
- November 26, 2014 - HEGCF – In Debt to Technology
- October 6, 2014 - TEP Events International Secures Growth Finance from Harbert European Growth Capital Fund I, LP to Accelerate Global Expansion
- September 24, 2014 - HEGCF – Accuris Networks Receives $15 Million Investment
- September 15, 2014 - HEGCF Continues to Ramp Investment Pace and Announces New Deals
- June 17, 2014 - Harbert European Growth Capital – Specialty Debt Financing in Europe
- June 11, 2014 - Zenterio issues SEK 115 million in new shares and prepares for an IPO
- May 29, 2014 - TIM Launches Personal Cloud Service For 72M Brazilians, Powered by Funambol
- May 9, 2014 - Harbert European Growth Capital Fund announces its most recent close
- December 12, 2013 - Returbo Raises Growth Capital
- November 7, 2013 - Funambol Secures New Financing from Harbert European Growth Capital Fund to Accelerate Personal Cloud Global Expansion
- April 26, 2013 - PEI Private Debt Investor: HMC Eyes First Close This Month for Euro Growth Debt Fund
- January 24, 2013 - HMC Sponsoring a New European Growth Lending Team
HARBERT EUROPEAN GROWTH CAPITAL
+44 (207) 408 4156
+44 (207) 408 4146
Brookfield House, 5th Floor
44 Davies Street
London, UK W1K 5JA